Wednesday, August 25, 2004

wholeness

"The esscence of sin is "other people telling me who I am and I believing them". Collusion with inauthentic images of myself can only be a denial of the irreducible originality of the given self, and thus an offence to God. In this sense sin is linked to a great deal of ill-health; for to believe and to enact a lie about myself, however unconsciously or for whatever noble motives, can only be conducive to sickness."

Mud and Stars: The Impact of Hospice Experience on the Church's Ministry of Healing [A Report of a Working Party Consisting Mainly of Doctors, Nurses and Clergy], as found in Heartbreaker, a novel by Susan Howatch. For those of you who have never read Susan Howatch, get thee to a library! (Start with Glittering Images. Don't be put off by the cover.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home