Monday, August 23, 2004

picking couches for my new office

I think I've seen almost 1/2 of the couches that are for sale in my fine town.

13 ft x 15.6 ft is what I have to work with. North facing, windows along the back wall (broken up by a brick column). The carpet is kind of a mud colour - one of those carpets that are 'every colour' - green, brown, cranberry, blue, yellow. There will be scarlet colour borders on the carpet (not my choice). Walls will be french vanilla. Accent walls in the main area will be a mustard yellow colour. Oak fittings.

I do most of my work with clients at the couches. My current office is set up with a couch, love seat and chair. I pull a table into the middle of the mix to create a work space. My desk is off in the corner. I want to replicate a similar feel in my new office. I hate seeing clients at my desk - for one, I keep a messy desk and there are confidentiality issues. Secondly, I don't like the power dynamics that a desk imposes. It feels so officious and me vs. you. It's hard enough coming to see a lawyer when your life is taking such major twists and turns - you don't need to have intimidation, whether it be purposeful or accidental, thrown into the mix. I try to create a safe place for people to speak clearly and honestly about what is going on and what needs to change (for all you Path soon-to-be-participants, my mission statement is: "To create a safe place for people to tell their real stories").

That's all well and fine, but I've now got to actually put this space together. I've been subletting an office for the last year and a bit and it came fully furnished. I'm moving into a new venture on Sept 1 and I've got to start from scratch. I have a horror of being a cookie cutter Ikea replicate, but I also have limited resources (read money) and am not a particularly happy shopper. I want my office to really look like me - not just some office drone's office. I'm not in to matchy-matchy. I'm not really an antique-y person. If left to my own devices, I'd probably do things in chrome and glass, but that's not very welcoming.

So here is what I've decided on so far. Keep reading - your input will be greatly valued.

1. Two love seats. I thought about getting a sofa and love seat, but the fact is that three people never sit on the sofa and that extra space is just wasted. Cheaper to get two loveseats. Any disagreements or thoughts to the contrary? Keep in mind the space.

2. An adjustable table from Ikea. This is very cool: you can buy table legs and table tops separately. I'm going to buy the adjustable legs so that I can make the table just a bit lower. Regular dining room tables are too high when you're sitting on a couch.

3. Chair. I have no idea. The thought right now is that I'll bring a chair I have at home - it is vanilla coloured and has wooden legs that are currently painted sage green. I'm not sure if it'll fit with the couches.

4. Desk - I have no idea. I like to have lots of space to spread out when I'm drafting documents, but I don't need a deep desk.

Here is the big challenge for me: what colours? I'm leaning towards either a red or yellow couch. Opinions on either of these colours? If I go with red, I'll probably go with a brick colour. If I go with yellow, I'll go with a warm yellow. I don't like mustard yellow, so that's out. Someone suggested ochre. What's that?

Wood: light wood or dark?

I want my office to be a relaxing, yet up beat place to be. If you were getting divorced, what would make you feel most comfortable in an office?

Input greatly desired!

Later: Here are two interesting sites on feng shui as it relates to colour.

another p.s.: feel free to suggest colours that aren't red or yellow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home