Tuesday, November 14, 2006

much better than gingerham*

As I was in the car this evening, I was listening to the Night Time Review, a program of CBC Radio One. Host Shelagh Rogers (my most favorite radio host - she's amazing!) was interviewing Canadian author Adam Gopnik about his new book Through the Children's Gate. While I only caught part of the interview, the bit that jumped out at me was the discussion about kids' made up words. Adam was relating a story where his daughter, describing the death of an imaginary character, declared that the person had died of "bitterosity".

Does that just perfectly sum up that miasma of nastiness that surrounds some people?

[* gingerham was unfortunately not a made up word, but simply my own mispronunciation of gingham. I had read about gingham fabrics in my beloved Anne of Green Gables books, but had only ever sounded the word out in my head, accidently adding an "r" in the process. It took a bit of explaining to help my mom understood what I meant the first time I said the word out loud.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home