Saturday, August 28, 2004

is there a correlation?

Something I've been noticing lately:

churches that put a high priority on being "right" (eg, making sure they interprete scripture correctly, making sure that Christian behaviour is taught and followed, making sure that all they do is orthodox, in the evangelical sense of the word) have little to no social justice ministries.

churches that are more "liberal" (eg, willing to be expansive about doctrines such as homosexual sex, may be very loose about interpretation of scripture, some questions about the 'only-ness' of Jesus) have vibrant, active social justice ministries.

Am I biased here? Am I missing something? When I say social justice, I mean things like political advocacy, working for change, refuge work, sex trade worker helps - that sort of thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home