Tuesday, June 01, 2004

a timely message

Today is my one year anniversary of starting my own business! As I started saying when I was very young: "hurrah for my ownself!". It has been a year of much growth, lots of struggles and lots of learning. There have also been liberal blessings sprinkled through out.

Amidst my joy today, a comment came along that cut to the very heart of my vulnerable place. Yup, it zinged. And then I had my choice to make: was I going to agree with this comment or was I going to move beyond it? I chose to move beyond it.

It will never cease to be amazed how you find things at the right time. Here is what I came across today (after I had made the decision not to let the comment stick):

I was reminded today of an important turning point in my creative life. A woman wrote to me and asked, "How do you keep your confidence up (without letting it dissipate) to keep living your creative dream?"

What came to mind is something a friend of mine told me years ago. I was saying something self-deprecating and insecure about my artwork and he turned to me and said, "When are you going to take it for granted that you are a talented artist? When are you going to stop trying to prove it? Assume it. Take it for granted and imagine what you could create from that place..."

My whole life changed that day.

I finally saw how much energy I was putting into becoming an artist. I thought I had to somehow earn the title, that there was some special magic attached to it. I thought I had to be plucked from the crowd, that someone from the outside (who? I have no idea) would say to me, NOW. You are good enough.

What a bunch of crap.


from (Superhero Design Journal)

When am I going to take it for granted that I am a talented lawyer? When am I going to stop trying to provide it? I am going to assume it. I am going to take for granted that I am working in my giftedness. Imagine what I can help co-create from this place!

When? Today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home