Tuesday, July 05, 2005

not just semantics

I've been thinking today about the difference between the meanings of the words naming and labeling. I was talking with some close friends this morning about a recent experience I had and was struggling to tell them about what had happened. Once I got it out, I realized that I could simply name my experience; that is, tell my version of what had happened and tell them the feelings I had felt when the experience was happening. It felt clean and neutral. I didn't then need to go on to label the experience; that is, to determine whether it was good or bad, whether I had done the right thing or wrong thing, whether the other person was right, wrong or indifferent. I didn't need to pigeonhole the experience by labeling it. It's like I didn't start traipsing down the road of whether what happened was legitimate or not, but instead just accepted that it had happened and had had an impact on me. A much freer way of being, me thinks.

On an entirely different note, a friend gently mocked me today for going to a theological lecture tonight instead of to the movies...."wow, you really know how to party!". In truth, I'm too serious too often. How 'bout suggesting fun activites for me to loosen up? I'm open to *most* suggestions!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home